Student artists are seeing green.

Trashformations: The Art of Recycling Art Show and Competition is taking applications for its 15th year this November. Students in middle school, high school and college can enter art pieces made from recyclable materials. The event will be at 5:30 p.m. Nov. 22 at the Florida Museum of Natural History.

The competition is sponsored by the Alachua County Board of County Commissioners, the Office of Waste Alternatives and the Florida Museum, according to a news release.

“It’s a way to look at trash differently,” said Tiffany Ireland, education assistant at the museum.

The pieces must be made of at least 70 percent recyclable materials, be freestanding and no taller than nine and a half feet.

The application is available on the Alachua County Public Works website and is due Nov. 8.

Ireland said in previous years, there have been anywhere from 30 to 80 entries for the competition and anticipates this year’s event to be big.

Molly Edwards, 22-year-old UF creative photography senior, said it is an interesting way to bring together students and the community.

She said Trashformations is unique because it is not strictly one type of art.

“People are really eager to go green,” she said, “especially artists.”

Ireland said sometimes students become more creative because of the competition’s recyclable-material restrictions.

A version of this story ran on page 9 on 10/9/2013 under the headline "Art competition encourages participants to get trashy"