Monday, April 29, 2024

Engineers to flaunt artistic side at Harn Museum of Art

Arts and sciences will be coming together at the Samuel P. Harn Museum of Art on Thursday.

Arts in Engineering will be at the Harn from 6 to 9 p.m. as part of the Museum Nights series. The annual event features musical performances and artistic works created by faculty members and students of the College of Engineering.

Eric Segal, education curator of academic programs at the museum, said this year will feature a video digital interaction display that can project the image of participants onto a prerecorded background.

“It’s a wonderful surprise for people to discover that engineers have such strong and diverse artistic abilities,” he said.

Diana Alarcon, a 21-year-old industrial and systems engineering senior, is presenting four silk-screen prints and two pairs of white canvas shoes she painted with acrylic paint.

“I think this event is unique in the sense that it showcases that engineers can break the stereotypes,” she said. “Too often, we’re put into this box where we’re just supposed to do math and be analytical.”

The event will also feature Theatre Strike Force, art activities sponsored by the Museum University Student Educators, an interactive educational game called “Will It Float?” and a centrifugal force painting, Segal said.

Angela Lindner, associate dean for student affairs in the College of Engineering, said with the large number of entries, the event will have a high energy level.

James O’Connell, environmental engineering senior, will be performing saxophone duets at the show. O’Connell, 21, said playing saxophone has taught him skills vital in engineering, including patience, discipline and the value of hard work.

“Engineering is about solving problems, and sometimes, you have to be creative,” he said.

A version of this story ran on page 3 on 10/9/2013 under the headline "Engineers to flaunt artistic side at Harn Museum of Art"