This past week I was able to tackle a service project from my very own living room. I stumbled across a website called Post-Pals which connects you with children who need a friend or even just an outlet to talk to. These kids have often been diagnosed with a terminal illness and the organization gives you the opportunity to provide support for them as well as their siblings whose lives have also been impacted.

I sent off my first letter to a child named Sophie, a six-year-old diagnosed with a Malignant Brain Tumor.

The website informed me that she loved Disney, princesses and baking…my type of girl! I sent her pictures so she could learn a little bit about my life here at the Swamp.

Finding her as a pen pal brought out the kid I am at heart. Despite the fact that I am a junior in college, I got to channel my inner child. I thought about all the little things in my life that someone as young as Sophie would be able to relate to.

The value of the statement “cherishing the simple things in life” was never made so clear. In the end, I feel like this might be as much of an outlet for me as it is for Sophie.