Carnival
Carnival

UF’s Sigma Chi (ΣΧ) fraternity hosted a fitness carnival Thursday at P.K. Yonge to promote exercise and healthy living.

The carnival, the first of its kind, included waterslides and field games for the after-school program, while also informing children about healthy food choices.

Greg Dana, the community service organizer for Sigma Chi, said a brother certified in nutrition told children what and what not to eat at an interactive station at the carnival.

“We drink so much soda now and eat so much fast food now that it’s a rising issue in the United States, and we’re trying to tackle it at its roots,” the 20-year-old UF economics sophomore said.

Sigma Chi wants to do the carnival every semester at different elementary schools, preferably ones that are from different socioeconomic backgrounds, Dana said.

“We already have seeds planted for other schools in the coming semesters,” Dana said. “The goal is to do well here and go out and educate the whole youth in Gainesville.”

Robert Cox, the director of the Blue Wave After School Inc. program at P.K. Yonge, said he hopes the children had a good time while learning about their health.

“I think it’s important for some solid young people to be around some other young people and be positive influences,” Cox said. “If they can learn something along the way, that’s great.”

A version of this story ran on page 4 on 10/18/2013 under the headline "Fraternity promotes healthy lifestyles with fitness carnival"