Going the distance: is it worth it?

Long-distance relationships. They can be hard work, but they can also be oh so rewarding.

Contrary to popular belief, being in a long distance relationship in college doesn't just consist of trust issues and lonely nights.

They can actually be quite nice and as a long-term, long-distance relationship-er, I'm here to tell you why they can be the best kind of relationship.

First, they allow you the flexibility and time to do what you want. While you're at school you can focus on finding the things that make you happy. You create your own schedule and have the time you need to participate in all the activities you want to on and off campus.

Second, with the flexibility and time to do what you want you discover and build your own identity, and you also create an identity as a couple. You lower your risk of becoming one of those couples who do everything together, in exactly the same way and many times in perfectly matching outfits. Instead, you can mesh these two parts of your life to create a better experience for you and your significant other

Lastly and most importantly...

When you finally reunite with your loved one after not seeing them for a month, week or whatever, it is the greatest feeling in the world. The excitement, the nerves, the butterflies- they all come rushing back. And because you know your time is precious, you make the most of it. You enjoy every second you have.

Being long-distance has its ups and downs, just as any relationship has, but the bottom line is that if you're willing to give it a shot, a long-distance relationship can actually prove to be everything you wanted.