Graham Center to create Knight Fellows-in-Residence program to bring leaders to UF campus

UF’s Bob Graham Center for Public Service is using a $3 million grant to create a Knight Fellows in-Residence program starting next month, bringing public and private sector leaders to campus.

The money was awarded in 2010 by the Knight Foundation, according to the center’s website.

Preston Haskell, of Haskell, the largest privately held construction company in Florida, will serve as the first fellow, according to a news release.

“It’s an opportunity to get wise counsel, not only academically but from a private sector perspective,” said Shelby Taylor, the communications director for the center.

Haskell will teach a leadership development course for the College of Engineering and will guest lecture for the College of Design, Construction and Planning. He will also offer mentoring through the Career Resource Center.

Perry Alfred, 21, a UF building construction junior, said he thinks Haskell’s business expertise will be helpful.

“Anybody in the field of construction or even business helps us as construction majors because they can only teach you so much in the books,” Alfred said.

A version of this story ran on page 8 on 10/2/2013 under the headline "Graham Center bringing leaders to campus"