The Samuel P. Harn Museum of Art is embracing a new level of art and photography: Instagram.

At tonight’s kickoff party for Museum Nights and the free student membership program, the Harn will also host an Instagram contest from 6 to 9 p.m.

The party will showcase students and faculty members’ paintings, drawings, sculpture, dances and musical performances.

Participants in the Instagram contest can submit their pictures from the event using the hashtag #myHarn.

The purpose of using Instagram is to raise awareness about the museum and about the free memberships that have been made possible by Student Government, said Tami Wroath, the director of marketing and public relations for the Harn.

The museum began offering free student memberships in September and has fewer than 500 left.

“We want to encourage students to make the Harn a part of their life here at UF,” Wroath said.

Gift card prizes will go to the most creative and interactive photos.

Although the contest is open to everyone at the party — even those without Harn memberships — she said only students can take home the prizes.

Bijun Liu, a 22-year-old UF criminology and East Asian languages and literatures senior, said she’s excited to participate in the contest.

“I think the pictures at the Harn are cool,” she said. “I will definitely participate.”

A version of this story ran on page 5 on 10/10/2013 under the headline "Harn Museum to hold Instagram contest at event"