<p>North Central Florida Central Labor Council staff member Jeremiah Tattersall speaks to a group of protesters at the office of U.S. Rep. Ted Yoho (R-Fla.) on Tuesday. The group was discussing the government shutdown.</p>

North Central Florida Central Labor Council staff member Jeremiah Tattersall speaks to a group of protesters at the office of U.S. Rep. Ted Yoho (R-Fla.) on Tuesday. The group was discussing the government shutdown.

Labor organizations gathered outside the local office of U.S. Rep. Ted Yoho (R-Fla.) on Tuesday afternoon to protest the federal government shutdown.

Jeremiah Tattersall, a staff member at the North Central Florida Central Labor Council, spoke to a group of about 10 people, including federal workers and community supporters, about shared frustration over the shutdown.

Tattersall said Yoho was not acting in favor of the majority because most Americans opposed the shutdown as a solution.

Ruth Browne, an Iraq War veteran, said she identifies herself as a Republican but does not believe a shutdown is the way to fix the problem.

“The House and the Senate need to find a way to work together. If we come together, there is so much we can do,” Browne said.

Eric Brown, a 20-year-old UF political science junior, expressed concern about what will happen to some of the government services some students enjoy.

“Museums and parks will be shut down, and I just wish it was for more of a worthy cause than a disagreement in Congress,” he said.

Kat Cammack, Yoho’s chief of staff, encouraged the show of engagement from residents, which she said is “absolutely critical.”

“The fact is that nobody is in favor of a government shutdown, and Ted is working very hard to find a solution,” she said. “There are no right answers for how to deal with the issue.”

A version of this story ran on page 8 on 10/2/2013 under the headline "Labor protests shutdown at congressman’s office"