Your time until Halloween is dwindling. All those elaborate costumes you dreamt up in class are now seeming less and less possible. There are still a few simple costumes you can pull together to avoid recycling last year’s ensemble.

Wednesday Addams

This one is super simple. A black button-down shirt and black skirt are likely already in your closet or one of your friends’. Throw them on, braid your hair, and you are good to go. If you are heading out to Midtown or downtown, this costume is practical and comfortable. You won’t have to deal with any pesky accessories that you’d lose any way.

Rosie the Riveter

Since denim shirts are in style this season, you probably already have what you need for this costume, too. A jean shirt and a bandana with any shorts will have you looking like the poster woman of World War II. Show off those muscles you’ve been working on at boot camp. Wear red lipstick to dress up this look for your nighttime adventures. Also, be sure to do the signature Rosie pose, and flex for all your photos.

Olivia Pope

Wear the white hat this year, but don’t promise your friends you will be able to fix everything all night. When small drama occurs, fix it. For example, if someone spills their drink, grab a bunch of napkins, tell them you are there to clean up the mess, and proceed to clean up. Wear a stylish business suit you swore you wouldn’t wear again until the next Career Day. Wear a white hat from the party store, and you are a gladiator in a suit.

Billy Ray Cyrus circa 1990

For all the fellas with long hair, this one’s for you. Pull your hair back into a ponytail, and rock an unbuttoned plaid shirt and some chains. Jeans and some comfy footwear will have you ready to sing “Achy Breaky Heart” all night. Or you can do a duet with Miley. Make sure she keeps that foam finger to herself.

Brawny Man

If your hair isn’t long enough to rock a faux mullet ‘do but you really want to wear plaid, go as the Brawny Man. Same outfit as Billy Ray minus the chains. Don’t shave for a few days before the Halloween festivities begin. This is a fresh take on the average, last-minute cowboy outfit. Being the Brawny Man will trick people into thinking you’re creative.

Walter White

I’m thinking this is going to be a common costume this year. All you need are your tighty-whities and a button-down shirt. Grab a pair of reading glasses from the dollar store and get ready to tell people not to cross you. If you’re a fan of the show, you’ll know all the right quotes to use. And, like my mom always says, make sure your underwear is clean.

A version of this story ran on page 13 on 10/24/2013 under the headline "Last-minute costumes have lasting impact"