Local astronomy club to celebrate International Observe the Moon Night

Registration is now open for the Alachua Astronomy Club’s moon-gazing event Saturday night.

From 7 to 10 p.m., residents will observe International Observe the Moon Night at the Easton Newberry Sports Complex.

The free event will offer a range of telescopes provided by the club, a laser-guided tour of the constellations and a Q-and-A session with local astronomers.

Participants will also be led in an experiment to see how craters are formed on the surface of the moon. They will simulate the scenario by throwing objects at a tub filled with flour.

The evening is aimed at promoting “awareness of the universe, astronomy and the moon in particular,” said Andy Howell, club president.

Amateur astronomer Bob O’Connell, who created a subcommittee inside the club for people interested in the moon, said he grew up watching the Apollo missions and moon landings. Now, he said, the moon is his biggest interest.

“Anyone today can look at a high-resolution picture of the moon, but there is nothing that compares with putting your eye to the end of a telescope and seeing it in person,” O’Connell said.

Participants can learn more at http://www.alachuaastronomyclub.org.

A version of this story ran on page 8 on 10/9/2013 under the headline "Moon stars in upcoming astronomy club event"