Notebook: Freshman halfback to make first college start

<p>Redshirt junior Ronald Powell (7) reacts to a play during Florida’s 17-6 loss to LSU on Oct. 12 at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, La.</p>

Redshirt junior Ronald Powell (7) reacts to a play during Florida’s 17-6 loss to LSU on Oct. 12 at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, La.

Jacksonville needs to make room for another Taylor.

The city where former Gators tailback Fred Taylor became an NFL star will be the site of Kelvin Taylor’s first college start when Florida plays Georgia on Saturday at EverBank Field.

“He’s continued to improve throughout the season, week to week,” coach Will Muschamp said of Kelvin. “He’s always been a very instinctive, natural runner. It’s very obvious. Again, with assignments and different things, I think he’s done a nice job and deserves the opportunity.”

Taylor has impressed in spurts this season, tallying 172 yards on 28 carries with a touchdown. That score came in a 36-17 loss to Missouri on Oct. 19, when Taylor enjoyed a career-best day against the Tigers.

In the first game since starter Matt Jones was ruled out for the season due to a torn meniscus, Taylor racked up 74 yards on 12 carries, including Florida’s lone touchdown at Faurot Field in Columbia, Mo.

“He’s shown that he can do a lot of good things with the ball in his hands,” quarterback Tyler Murphy said.

“The coaches and myself have to find ways to get him the ball so he can create big plays for us. We’re going to need some explosive plays, and he’s shown that he has the ability to do that.”

Once Taylor scored that touchdown on a 20-yard scamper in the third quarter, he did not see much more action. The freshman received only one more carry.

Muschamp admitted on Oct. 23 that he regretted the move.

“We probably got away from that a little early,” Muschamp said of using Taylor in the ground game. “We did.”

But the Gators will not let that happen again. Although redshirt junior Mack Brown will remain involved, Taylor has finally assumed the role of featured back. Junior fullback Hunter Joyer believes Taylor will capably handle his transition to the spotlight.

“He’s more focused than earlier in the season,” Joyer said. “He understands that we’re relying on him now.”

Like his father did before when he first joined the Jaguars as the ninth overall pick of the 1998 NFL Draft, Kelvin heads to Jacksonville with a golden opportunity in front of him.

The Gators are confident that the son will follow in his father’s footsteps.

Muschamp said, “He’s a very talented runner. He’s a guy that can certainly do some things in the run game. He’s got great vision and great instincts in the run game. Again, we’ve got a lot of confidence in Kelvin and what he’s doing, and again, he’s earned this opportunity.”

Injuries: An ankle injury may force Ronald Powell to miss Florida’s game against Georgia for the second consecutive year.

Muschamp described the redshirt junior linebacker’s status for this Saturday’s game in Jacksonville as “up in the air.”

Tyler Murphy, who has a sprained AC joint in his right shoulder, is expected to play against the Bulldogs after sitting out practice during the bye week to rest his shoulder.

Skyler Mornhinweg took snaps with the first team in practice in Murphy’s absence.

Defensive tackle Damien Jacobs will likely play against Georgia but did not practice Monday. He sat out against Missouri on Oct. 19 due to lingering effects from a head injury he suffered against LSU a week earlier.

Darrin Kitchens (shoulder) and Colin Thompson (foot) are doubtful to play.

Follow Joe Morgan on Twitter @joe_morgan.