<p>A model presents a creation as part of Valentino's ready-to-wear Spring/Summer 2014 fashion collection, presented Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2013 in Paris.</p>

A model presents a creation as part of Valentino's ready-to-wear Spring/Summer 2014 fashion collection, presented Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2013 in Paris.

Paris Fashion Week has officially ended, rounding out the most magical month in the fashion world.

Highlighted by brands as iconic as Valentino and designers as talked about as Marc Jacobs, the runways in Paris have provided a telling glimpse into spring/summer 2014 trends.

In terms of color trends, designers like Lanvin and Stella McCartney played up the metallic tones for their spring/summer 2014 collections. Rich and warm metallic sheens from gold to bronze were seen on multiple catwalks.

Appearing in both ultra-feminine and androgynous looks, the metallic color palette is a surefire trend for spring and summer.

The Saint Laurent show featured a vivid gold, structured wrap dress. The intense metallic smoothness of the dress was juxtaposed with the structure of the silhouette.

Alternatively, designers like Giambattista Valli played with lighter metallic shades. Valli incorporated a muted gold fabric with a minimal level of shine into a delicate and feminine coat, a standout piece in the collection.

Although the color trends are certainly noteworthy, the Paris runways also displayed a trend toward pattern. Despite their cartoonish or nautical connotations, stripes appeared in such prominent collections as Hermès and Valentino.

While Hermès experimented with horizontal, colored stripes, Valentino utilized a thicker, horizontal stripe. Elie Saab put a feminine spin on the stripe by incorporating it with lace for some of the gowns in his collection.

In any case, the stripes made a chic statement, nodding toward a big trend for the coming seasons.

As is usually the case with fashion, nothing is complete without a new twist on a classic menswear trend. This year’s Paris Fashion Week was no different.

Seen in multiple and varied collections, the shirtdress is a huge trend to look out for in the coming spring and summer.

Newer names on the scene like Sacai as well as Paris Fashion Week favorites like Balenciaga and Nina Ricci incorporated chic variations of the shirtdress into their respective collections.

While metallic hues, stripes and shirtdresses were in the trend spotlight this Paris Fashion Week, drama is one trend that is always present on Parisian catwalks.

Between fantastical, theatrical shows like Saint Laurent and Louis Vuitton, protesters taking the runway during the Nina Ricci show and (perhaps most notably) Marc Jacobs presenting his final show for Louis Vuitton after 16 years of designing, drama showed up in a big way during Paris Fashion Week this September.

Despite the drama or perhaps because of it, Paris Fashion Week consistently and accurately signals trends for coming seasons.

A version of this story ran on page 7 on 10/10/2013 under the headline "Paris Fashion Week illuminates trends for spring/summer 2014"