Sunday at 2 a.m. will mark the beginning of more darkness. But as Daylight Savings comes to end, more women could feel unsafe.

Stephanie Creamer, a 22-year-old UF master’s student in international business, said she loves when the time changes because of the extra hour of sleep. But this means that it gets darker at an earlier time.

Creamer said she feels a little less safe on campus and while walking to her apartment when she is alone. She said most of her classes don’t end until 6 or 8 p.m., and after that, she attends group meetings that sometimes run as late as 11 p.m.

“Sometimes walking back is a little intimidating that late,” she said.

University Police spokesman Maj. Brad Barber said even though the time change means darkness approaches faster, crimes on campus don’t typically increase.

Walking in well-lit areas, walking with a friend or some other person, planning ahead and using the Student Nighttime Auxiliary Patrol service are all safety tips the police recommend, he said.

Kelsey Brown, a 20-year-old UF telecommunication student, said the time change motivates her to finish her schoolwork before it gets dark.

She said one of her friends was recently beat up and robbed about two blocks away from her apartment.

“I don’t feel safe going out in the dark by myself, and now that that happened, I definitely don’t feel safe,” Brown said.

Barber said if anyone feels uncomfortable, he or she should contact the police.

“If you suspect it’s suspicious, it probably is,” he said. “Contact our officers, and we’ll check it out and take care of it for you.”

A version of this story ran on page 3 on 11/1/2013 under the headline "Safety an issue as Daylight Savings comes to an end"