As students scramble to assemble DIY costumes, some thrift shops report increased traffic from the younger crowd.

At Cecile’s Clothing Resale and Consignment Shop, owner Cendra Gier said she notices an increase in student shoppers during the fall. She said sought-after items depend “on the year and what’s cool.”

The hot costume item this year, she said, is overalls.

Thrift 5, at 1227 W. University Ave., sees a younger crowd of shoppers in general, said manager Emily Claire. She said the store has sold more than 15 full costumes since the beginning of October.

Others come in search of specific pieces. She said a group of fraternity brothers came into the store recently and left with Hawaiian shirts.

Because costumes are in higher demand now, she said, they sell at a higher price point in comparison with other items.

Ashley Pollan, a third-year UF law student, said she prefers thrift stores because of lower prices and a selection of unique items.

This year, the 24-year-old plans on dressing as Spaceman from the band Kiss. She bought a leather skirt and black top at Goodwill.

“I always prefer putting together my own costume,” she said. “I enjoy the process, ability to utilize my creativity … The end result always stands out.”

A version of this story ran on page 1 on 10/28/2013 under the headline "Students pop some tags for thrifted costumes"