Tacos go pink for breast cancer research this month

Taco Tuesday might look a little bit different this month.

During October, breast cancer awareness supporters have the option to choose food in the statement-making pink shade at Tijuana Flats.

“For a one dollar donation, guests can choose to have a pink tortilla for their hard or soft taco entrée,” according to a Tijuana Flats press release. “One hundred percent of the donations through the ‘Make it Pink’ option will benefit (the Breast Cancer Research Foundation).”

Also available for no extra cost are pink ribbon-shaped tortilla chips. This is the seventh year the Just in Queso Foundation, Tijuana Flats’ charity, has raised money for the foundation.

Jordan Castillow, a 19-year-old UF music education sophomore, said he chose to “make it pink,” as the corporation calls it, because of the novelty.

“And it supports breast cancer awareness,” Castillow said. “It seems like a pretty creative way to raise money for research.”

In fact, the rosy Tex-Mex creations still tasted pretty normal, too, he said.

“I guess in my mind I want it to taste different because it’s the weirdest thing I’ve ever seen,” Castillow said.

Gainesville Tijuana Flats locations include 3414 SW Archer Road and 1720 W. University Ave.

A version of this story ran on page 8 on 10/7/2013 under the headline "Tacos go pink for breast cancer research"