<p align="justify">Florida linebacker Michael Taylor blocks an opponent during UF’s 27-14 victory against Bowling Green on Sept. 1, 2012.</p>

Florida linebacker Michael Taylor blocks an opponent during UF’s 27-14 victory against Bowling Green on Sept. 1, 2012.

Linebacker Michael Taylor wears his heart on his sleeve.

One of his sleeves read, “4 U 2 Nana,” during Florida’s 24-7 victory against Kentucky on Saturday night at Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington, Ky. He was honoring his late grandmother and injured teammates Dominique Easley and Andre Debose.

“My grandma passed last year so I always dedicate something on my body to her every game,” Taylor said. “I usually try to put my fallen soldiers on me somewhere.”

Taylor made his three soldiers proud against the Wildcats, recording eight tackles, including one for loss in the victory. The performance upped his tackle total to 20, which is tied for second among Gators.

Taylor credited his success to better understanding Florida’s defensive system.

“When the opportunity arises, you’ve got to take advantage of it,” Taylor said. “So every opportunity I get, I’m just going to take advantage of it.”

Taylor has made his coaches proud, too.

Florida promoted Taylor to co-starter status at both Mike and Will linebacker in this week’s depth chart. Last week’s release listed him as the backup at Mike behind sophomore Antonio Morrison.

“Mike plays with a certain style, a style that we like, that we embrace on defense,” defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin said. “He epitomizes what we want to be. He’s a tough, physical guy. He plays really hard. And I think you’ve seen that on the field.”

More playing time means more chances for Taylor to talk, but not just through his play or on his sleeves. Taylor is on the field to make plays, and he lets the opposition know.

“You guys couldn’t handle that so I can’t really say that in here,” Taylor said when asked what he says to the other team. “If y’all mic me up, you might find out.”

Freshman impressing opposition: Freshman cornerback Vernon Hargreaves III is on Arkansas coach Bret Bielema’s radar.

“He’s everything you want in the position,” Bielema said during Wednesday’s SEC Coaches Media Teleconference. “He’s very confident, very aggressive.”

Hargreaves was named the Southeastern Conference Freshman of the Week on Monday after he recorded his third interception in Florida’s 24-7 win against Kentucky at Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington, Ky. Hargreaves has also recorded seven tackles and his four pass breakups are tied with Jabari Gorman for the team lead.

“He responds really well,” defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin said of Hargreaves. “The stage is not too big for him. He goes out there and handles his business.”

The emergence of Hargreaves has helped Florida’s secondary thrive despite the absence of Marcus Roberson (sprained knee) and Loucheiz Purifoy’s struggles to achieve consistency. How Hargreaves carries himself off the field despite his early success has impressed Durkin as well as fellow defensive back Jaylen Watkins.

“He’s a very humble kid,” Watkins said of Hargreaves. “He’s one of the most humble people I’ve ever met.”

Linebacker hates bears: Taylor was happy he did not receive an invitation to offensive coordinator Brent Pease’s pregame nature walk with Florida’s quarterbacks on Saturday in Lexington, Ky.

“We ain’t taking no risk of running into any bears,” Taylor said of Florida’s defense. “We’re good.”

Taylor is keen on avoiding bears. Sharing the same side of the ball with defensive tackle Darious “Bear” Cummings is good enough for him.

“I wouldn’t have went on a nature walk somewhere I don’t know,” Taylor said.

Follow Joe Morgan on Twitter @joe_morgan.