Vixen
Vixen

Liz Delgado, a 30-year-old mother from Miami, does the Vixen Workout because it makes her feel sexy.

“I did it for two months in Miami at least twice a week,” she said. “I was on Instagram begging them to come to Gainesville.”

The Vixen Workout, a club-style dance workout that originated in Miami, made its way to Gainesville last week as part of its School of Ratchét Tour.

Having enjoyed activities like Zumba, I thought the Vixen Workout would not be much different. However, it was a completely unique experience.

The girls, many sporting Vixen Army T-shirts, entered through the VIP section of Simon’s and were set up in rows of five.

The workout started at about 7:15 p.m. with a story-style introduction of some of the dance moves by Janet Jones, a former Miami Heat dancer and creator of the Vixen Workout.

It went something like this:

You’re driving around and getting it, and there’s a move for that, then you get hungry, so you strike your hunger pose.

Then, you do the milkshake and add a squat to make your milkshake bring all the boys to the yard.

If you do this in front of your apartment, boys will come, she said. Then, you get a booty call, and there’s a move for that. When you wake up the next morning, and he’s gone, it’s OK because we’re strong women and we got this, and that was also a move.

The twerking, percolating and booty shaking started when the music came through the speakers. Some of the songs played included Lil Wayne’s “Love Me,” Beyonce’s “Crazy in Love” and Jay-Z’s “On to the Next One.”

Jones jumped into a high-intensity choreographed routine, letting the participants learn as they went and encouraging enthusiasm.

After an hour of intense squats and leg workouts disguised as club dancing, we were all sweating and smiling.

When Jones, who now has a child, created this workout, it was to provide confidence and an hour of escape to women of all ages.

“I think it’s a common need for women to feel seen whether you’re 18 or 65,” she said. “All of a sudden, at 19, you’re supposed to decide what you want to do and who you are, and it’s a lot of pressure. With this workout, no one is judging you. It’s invigorating and empowering.”

The tour has made its way through Florida, leaving behind a trail of dedicated followers, and it shouldn’t be long before Vixen Workouts are popping up in clubs all over town.

“It’s such a good workout and so fun,” Delgado said.

A version of this story ran on page 8 on 10/24/2013 under the headline "Vixen Workout booty-pops its way into Gainesville"