When I think of Gainesville as a town and more than just UF, I see a unique place filled with interesting people and interesting places. There’s so much to explore here. But dressing for a place you’ve never been can always be a challenge. Here’s a few tips on what to wear if you’re feeling a little lost in your wardrobe.

Midtown

This is the place to dress cute, but not with cute shoes. Wedges are the shoe of choice for going out but spilled drinks happen a lot, so don’t ruin your nicest heels by wearing them here. Most girls wear high-wasted shorts with a tank top tucked in. Break the mold by wearing a high-wasted skirt with a tank and statement necklace; just be careful of that length and avoid any breezes of wind.

Downtown

Downtown, to me, seems a little more edgier than Midtown. Here, you can get away with wearing black and a little more grungy. But don’t take it to the extreme. If you’re going to a concert at the High Dive, embrace your music junkie and wear something that reflects the personality of who you’re going to see. Have fun with it.

Class

Ah, campus. Seriously, wardrobe here varies so much. A lot of people wear exercise clothes to class (i.e. big shirt, running shorts and sneakers) or just straight-up pajamas. Some people are forced to dress up (i.e. business attire) and some people choose to dress a little nicer. Here, it’s really up to you. My advice? Try to always at least look presentable-you never know who you’ll run into!

That hidden gem

Gainesville is overflowing with hidden gems. Satchels, The Jones, La Tienda; you name it. Each place is often pretty hipster and super casual. I’d just stick to jeans and a T-shirt at these places. There are some restaurants where people do dress up a little more (i.e. The Top), so a dress would work too.

Nicer Restaurants

If you’re going to Dragonfly or some other nicer restaurant in town (most of them are usually in Downtown), wear a dress and wedges. You can get away with flats, but dressing up can be fun! It’s your chance to show off your cutest outfit for your hot date.

Library

Most people here dress for pure comfort with layers, especially since the library can jump from freezing to boiling. T-shirts, leggings, sweatshirts-you name it. However, some people dress up hoping they’ll make small talk with their future-husband and bond over the difficulty of studying for that chem test.

Game

Football games are always a fun chance to dress in wild spirit. You can wear a dress in orange and/or blue, go all out with a crazy outfit or just stick to your favorite BEAT shirt. Just be sure to pick something that’s breezy and won’t make you melt while you stand in the sun.

In the end, Gainesville is great because people here embrace who they are. Don’t be afraid to wear what you want to wear.