<p>Max Brooks, author of “World War Z,” “The Zombie Survival Guide” and graphic novel “The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks,” speaks Wednesday evening in the Reitz Union Rion Ballroom. The event featured music, food, a costume contest and a book signing.</p>

Max Brooks, author of “World War Z,” “The Zombie Survival Guide” and graphic novel “The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks,” speaks Wednesday evening in the Reitz Union Rion Ballroom. The event featured music, food, a costume contest and a book signing.

Max Brooks, author of best-selling books “The Zombie Survival Guide” and “World War Z,” left the audience in a packed Reitz Union Rion Ballroom convulsing with laughter.

Brooks’ talk satirized popular horror media, taking jabs at thrillers like “28 Days Later” and romantic comedies like “Warm Bodies.” Even his own “Zombie Survival Guide” wasn’t safe, as he remarked on how the book was placed in bookstores’ “humor” section.

“I don’t find anything remotely funny about being killed and eaten by a zombie,” he said. “Quite frankly, I find them terrifying.”

His social commentary extended to why most aren’t prepared to survive a zombie apocalypse, and he explained how everyone can better prepare themselves to face an onslaught of the undead.

Throughout his speech, Brooks mocked student comments, with one girl in the audience being his go-to after she mentioned her zombie-killing weapon of choice was a halberd. Brooks said, “Oh my god,” punctuating each sentence she said.

Accompanying Brooks’ talk was a variety of activities, including zombifying marshmallows with edible marker, practicing marshmallow archery with bows fitted to fire the fluffy treat and a photobooth.

After Brooks’ speech, a zombie costume contest was held, which lacked zombie costumes. A man dressed as Batman’s sidekick Robin was declared the winner.

Kaylee Willet, an 18-year-old theater production freshman, said Brooks was hysterical.

“I was surprised to hear his book wasn’t intended to be in the humor section,” she said. “I thought that was really funny.”

A version of this story ran on page 4 on 10/31/2013 under the headline "Zombie author kills UF visit, champions preparation"