Breaking-up: expectation versus reality

So my boyfriend broke up with me.

According to click flicks, I should drown my sorrows in tubs of ice cream and have my room covered in tissues.

According to my friends, he’s a loser who doesn’t know what he’s missing out on and I should get back out there right away for a rebound.

According to other guys, I’m now single, ready to mingle, and back on the market.

There are all these expectations of how I should feel and what I’m supposed to do. Does anyone care about what I think?

I’m not going to lie: I’m heartbroken. I did not expect this to happen. I know people say that distance is hard to get through, but it can be done. My friends and roommate are doing it right now and their relationship is still going strong.

More often than not though, couples from high school break up when they get to college. They might even go to the same college and still break up. Why? Why do people who are so happy together grow apart?

People change. That’s the only explanation that I can come up with. This is the stage where we decide what we want to do with the rest of lives and, more importantly, who we want to be.

I know that some people expect me to completely fall apart because that’s how it’s depicted in those overly dramatic sappy films. Just because my relationship is over doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world. I don’t need a guy to provide my happiness for me or make me feel good about myself.

Now don’t get me wrong, I really did care about and love him. I can pack up his stuff and shove it in the back of my closet all I want, but that doesn’t mean that my thoughts don’t wander to past memories sometimes. And that’s OK.

Whether you were together for three months, a year, or even seven, it takes time to get over someone who you let into your life and trusted.

It’s OK to take some time for yourself; don’t feel pressured to get back out there right away. However, locking yourself in your room listening to sappy ballads isn’t going to make anything better. Every relationship and break-up is different, so find the happy medium that works for you.