If the public’s relationship with “Doctor Who” were a marriage, right now, we would be searching all of time and space for the perfect gold token to signify our upcoming 50th anniversary.

(Also, that would be the weirdest marriage in history, seeing how The Doctor’s face changes every few years when he regenerates, and there was that 16-year gap when we were separated. But alas, we all know The Doctor would never settle down anyway.)

However, we can call ourselves honorary companions and celebrate our devotion to “Doctor Who” by tuning into the much-awaited anniversary special Saturday.

The Day of The Doctor” will play on TVs and in selected cinemas globally.

And for those of you who will be in Gainesville, you can watch the episode at home on BBC America or get tickets to see it in 3-D at Regal Gainesville Cinema Stadium 14, 3101 SW 35th Blvd.

“Doctor Who” executive producer Steven Moffat has been notoriously tight-lipped about his plans for the show.

But though we may not have a TARDIS, we can somewhat see into the show’s future.

We know the approaching special will bring together Matt Smith’s youthful Eleventh Doctor, David Tennant’s eccentric Tenth Doctor and John Hurt’s gray-haired War Doctor.

This awkward Doctor-incarnation union is a tradition with “Who” anniversary episodes. And I imagine fans will love to see more of their favorite character in one place.

“It’s a groovy thing to happen,” Smith told TV Guide. “The Doctors are like, ‘You’re the Doctor? You’re not the Doctor!’ It’s funny and ridiculous.”

But the anniversary episode will not be all fun and games.

The special will answer questions we’ve all been asking since the beginning of Smith’s first appearance.

From the teasers, we’ve learned the plot will span over at least two worlds and three time periods, including Elizabethan England, contemporary London and the Doctor’s home planet, Gallifrey, during the Last Great Time War between the Time Lords and the loathsome Daleks.

To those of you who are friends with Whovians but have never seen the show, it may seem like we are speaking a different language at times: from a police call box that travels through time, a screwdriver that is sonic, paper that’s psychic and a doctor who’s not a doctor. And our fandom may seem excessive, what with the numerous Tumblr blogs, cool bow ties and other Who-related apparel.

But there is a reason the show has stuck around for 50 years and survived a 16-year hiatus.

It’s magical, and I’m sorry, I’m so sorry, if you don’t get that.

A version of this story ran on page 10 on 11/21/2013 under the headline "Doctor travels time, space to answer burning questions"