When it comes to my personal life, I’m a very open book.

I’m not ashamed to tell you that I struggle with weight loss and weight gain. It’s not a taboo subject for me. In fact, I love talking about weight. And I think talking about it is what’s led me to better manage my weight despite my less-than-ideal genes.

Less than one week ago, I made a trip to visit my (mostly overweight) family. While I was there, we indulged in large portions of unhealthy, edible junk until the afternoon I left to head back to Gainesville.

That afternoon, I came upon an idea that is extremely motivational and slightly insane.

My family and I made a bet.

We made a bet to see who could be in the best shape by Feb. 7. We are essentially competing against each other to see who can maintain the healthiest lifestyle for the next three months in an effort to reap the results.

Every other week, until the end of our competition, each competitor (there are seven of us) is going to put $5 into the winner’s bank. At the end of the competition, whoever has lost the most weight relative to her starting weight wins the grand prize of $280.

I’m sharing this with you because this has probably been the healthiest decision I’ve made all semester. I’m competitive by nature, which I imagine most Gainesville students must be. So start a competition with your friends. Motivate each other to eat, sleep and exercise the right way. There doesn’t have to be a monetary prize, because seeing the results of a now-healthy lifestyle should be enough. But if that’s what it takes to get participants, throw a few dollars in a jar every week or two.

Being a part of this competition is fun and practical. I’ve got three months to get in the best shape possible. See, it’s usually difficult for me to shed weight, and it’s even more difficult for me to keep it off (because I live with three young people who live off desserts and snacks). But I’ve got competition to think about now. I have a point to prove to others and to myself.

They say it takes 21 days to start or break a habit. I’ve got about four times that, and you should too.