<p>Skyler Mornhinweg drops back to pass during Florida’s 19-14 loss to South Carolina on Nov. 16 at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, S.C.</p>

Skyler Mornhinweg drops back to pass during Florida’s 19-14 loss to South Carolina on Nov. 16 at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, S.C.

Tyler Murphy was frustrated.

After three years on the bench, he finally earned his shot to play during Florida’s 31-17 win against Tennessee on Sept. 21. Not even two months later, a sprained AC joint in his right shoulder had him back on the sidelines.

“I caught myself being down a lot just knowing I wouldn’t be able to go out there and play that day,” Murphy said.

Like before, during his days as a backup, Murphy does not know when he will next take the field. After aggravating his shoulder injury in a 34-17 loss to Vanderbilt on Nov. 9, Murphy needs approval from the training staff before taking the field again.

“It’s just tough,” Murphy said. “It’s very tough being on the side.”

It’s a struggle many Gators continue to endure.

Left tackle D.J. Humphries is doubtful to play against Georgia Southern on Saturday. An MCL sprain has already sidelined the sophomore for three games.

Marcus Roberson could also miss Saturday’s contest with an ankle injury. He was suspended for Florida’s 19-14 loss to South Carolina, a game he would have missed regardless due to the injury.

In the midst of a five-game losing streak — the Gators’ longest such skid since a winless 1979 season — an already injury-ravaged Florida would like all hands on deck moving forward. But the solutions are far from simple.

“Different injuries are different things,” Muschamp said. “Some guys, if you have ankle or something, there’s a discomfort level with playing and being able to be a productive player. Certainly, this being the throwing shoulder of the quarterback, it’s a huge issue with discomfort if he’s not able to do some of the things he wants to do to put enough spin on the ball to be able to execute.”

In the meantime, players like Murphy, who waited for their chance to come, are tasked with bringing the Gators back from the brink. Skyler Mornhinweg was the latest.

The redshirt freshman made his first collegiate start in Columbia, S.C., and nearly quarterbacked Florida to an upset victory against No. 10 South Carolina. But his inability to do much in the passing game handcuffed the Gators’ offense.

After rushing for 169 yards and scoring two touchdowns in the first half, UF achieved only 31 rushing yards on 19 carries in a scoreless second half.

Mornhinweg tallied only 107 yards on 10-of-13 passing and threw a late interception that all but sealed Florida’s fate. Following the game, Skyler talked to New York Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, his father.

“He told me I did an OK job,” Skyler said. “Got to take care of the ball better, got to throw the ball away.”

Moving forward, Mornhinweg believes he is capable of more.

“I’m confident in my abilities, and I’m confident in the coaches’ game plan,” Mornhinweg said. “Whatever they want to run out there, we’ll execute it.”

Murphy offered his support for Mornhinweg, saying the Philadelphia native “did a good job with the pass plays that he was given.”

“Being in the atmosphere like that, I thought he really handled himself well,” Murphy continued. “He’s just got to continue to develop and work hard.”

Follow Joe Morgan on Twitter @joe_morgan.