Malala vs. Miley: The role models of today

As we all know, kids are impressionable, odd little creatures. And sometimes, I wonder just how todays pop culture is effecting them. When you think about it, they've got influences like Miley Cyrus, a Disney star, who, like every other disney star, gave into her rebellious streak and now grinds on teddy bears. And they've got influences that aren't as widely publicized- like Malala Yousafzai, an activist who's been standing up for what she believes in since the ripe age of 12. 

The media covers things that will interest a wide range of people. Lately, that seems to be a whole lot of what Miley Cyrus is up to- what she's wearing, what she's singing, and what she's dancing on this time. While very entertaining, I can't imagine being a kid and seeing the idolized Hannah Montana doing what she does now. Talk about a drastic change. I'm all about reinventing yourself, but I do think that when you're a role model for so many young girls, you kind of have to keep that in mind when you're figuring out your life. As much as she might wish otherwise, kids want to be like her. And I highly doubt any parent is going to be OK with their child violating their teddy bears. That'd be an interesting thing to walk in on.

On the other hand, you have girls like Malala, who is so worthy of being a role model, and yet I highly doubt many children look up to her. First of all, she isn't covered nearly as much as Miley Cyrus. And second of all, when she is covered in the news, it's in The New York Times, and on CNN- and I can't remember a time when I saw a kid pick up the New York Times and read something that isn't in the comics section. Those news outlets aren't exactly geared towards children. She didn't even let an assassination attempt stop her from revealing the truth of growing up under Taliban rule- which is dangerous for anyone to talk about, much less a child in a nationally renowned newspaper.

So what will really happen to the youth of today? Will they follow Miley or Malala? From the time we're children we learn by watching others- what happens when the people we watch are people like Miley Cyrus, who's in the news for the latest wild stunt she pulled? If anything, there should be more coverage of young girls like Malala. A brave, confident young woman who isn't afraid to reveal the truth of the world, and fight for what she believes in. Now that's a role model.