New social media platform gives musicians a chance for professional critique

Aspiring musicians can now compete for professional critiques using social media.

Grammy U’s Amplifier Center Stage launched Tuesday. The new social media platform invites artists to create a profile and upload their music to grammyuamplifier.com via SoundCloud, program spokesman Peter Kadin wrote in an email.

Finalists will be given an opportunity to have their music critiqued by a panel of leading names in music. Participants can promote their entries on social media to get votes, Kadin said. Submissions are due Dec. 10.

The top-rated profiles will be linked to the program’s curators — Linkin Park, Kelly Clarkson, Ozzy Osbourne, Rza, Kaskade, My Morning Jacket’s Jim James and Snoopzilla, formerly known as Snoop Dogg — who will promote the artists on their own social media accounts.

The top three acts will receive awards like a recording session with a Grammy producer.

“The program will help fill a void left of artist and repertoire operations at record companies and allow college students to share their music directly with top musicians,” Jodie Blum, the executive director of Grammy U, wrote in an email.

Spencer Jordan, a 19-year-old UF English and family, youth and community sciences sophomore, said the program sounds like something he would like to participate in.

“Gainesville is already a great town for aspiring musicians, but this gives us an opportunity to reach outside of our university with our music and have it heard by people who have more experience and invaluable knowledge in the industry,” he said.

A version of this story ran on page 3 on 11/6/2013 under the headline "Contest gives musicians notes"