Officials urge safe Florida-Georgia parking, transportation options

Students traveling to Jacksonville for Florida-Georgia game festivities this weekend have several options for parking and resources for a safe experience, officials advise.

Lauri-Ellen Smith, special assistant to Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office, said underage drinking laws and open container laws will be strictly enforced. She also said people should avoid counterfeits by not buying tickets on the street.

“The Florida-Georgia game will be an exciting event, and following these simple tips will help them and us as well,” she said.

Park-n-Ride options are offered by the Jacksonville Transportation Authority’s stadium shuttle service. Residents and visitors can park in one of the complimentary locations and pay for a round-trip ride to EverBank Field.

Two downtown boarding locations are the Skyway Convention Center lot at 1005 Forsyth St. on the north bank of the river and the Kings Avenue Parking Garage at 1003 Kings Ave. on the south bank, both for $7 per person.

Customers driving from the beaches can park and board at Little League (Wingate) Park at 277 Penman Road South in Jacksonville Beach for $12 per person.

Visiting from the south side of the city, customers can board at the J. Turner Butler Boulevard and Phillips Highway at 7020 Phillips Highway for $12 per person.

Shuttle services will begin at 11:30 a.m. and will continue one hour after the game.

“Riding the shuttle is an easy way to avoid the hassle of heavy traffic and a safer way to travel, especially because it is somewhat of a party scene,” said John Finotti, JTA spokesman.

There are no particular areas to avoid, but having patience is key, he said.

Uber, a smartphone app that links riders to on-demand private rides, will also be available in Jacksonville for the first time.

“This smartphone application promotes a safer, faster way for people to get to where they need to be,” said spokeswoman Nairi Hourdajian. “We’re hoping that this weekend will be a great start to something different.”

During the weekend, students can call 904-630-SAFE for general safety information and resources. More information such as rates and locations for parking can be found on the official website for the game at flga.org.

Alison Pondo, 22-year-old UF public relations senior, said she has had positive experiences visiting Jacksonville the past couple of years.

“There is a little bit of a crazy atmosphere, but I expect the traffic and the crazy amount of people there,” Pondo said. “It definitely makes you recognize the environment around you and the precautions we have to take."

A version of this story ran on page 1 on 11/1/2013 under the headline "Officials urge safe Florida-Georgia parking, transportation options"