<p>Havana Solaun (19) fights for the ball during Florida’s 2-0 win against Oklahoma State on Sept. 6 at James G. Pressly Stadium.</p>

Havana Solaun (19) fights for the ball during Florida’s 2-0 win against Oklahoma State on Sept. 6 at James G. Pressly Stadium.

The Gators are down a leader.

Junior midfielder Havana Solaun — Florida's second-leading goal scorer — suffered a torn right ACL during the Southeastern Conference Championship match against Texas A&M on Sunday in Orange Beach, Ala..

“Havana is a really dangerous player for us,” coach Becky Burleigh said in a post-game interview on Sunday. “She’s a great assist person for our team. Obviously, she’s very athletic in the three for us, and we’re going to feel that loss.”

Solaun’s absence in the remaining 66 minutes of Sunday’s game weighed heavily on the team.

“It is was a pretty tough loss for us — not only the championship, but losing our leader,” junior midfielder Annie Speese said. “We tried to leave it all on the field, but it was one of those days. Texas A&M came out to play, and we had a hard time dealing with their pressure.”

Speese scored Florida’s only goal of the day just four minutes after Solaun left the field.

With Florida heading into NCAA Tournament action on Saturday coming off the SEC Tournament loss, the last thing the Gators needed was an injured playmaker.

The junior has been one of Florida’s best weapons all season, leading the team with nine assists.

She is second on the team’s scoring list, notching eight goals this season.

With Florida hosting Jacksonville for the first round play at James G. Pressly Stadium, it has to move past Sunday’s loss and overcome Solaun’s absence.

“We still have very good players on our team, and they’re just going to have to step up,” Burleigh said.

Follow Michelle Provenzano on Twitter @mmprovenzano.