Student entrepreneurs get crafty, community-minded in Plaza of the Americas event

Gator Innovators swarmed the Plaza of the Americas during the Entrepreneurs Raid the Plaza event held Wednesday.

Sean Treiser, a 19-year-old UF economics sophomore, said the event was sponsored by the Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation. The event gave student business owners the chance to sell their goods — provided that a portion of the profits went to charity.

“People don’t have the opportunity to appreciate the really cool things that students are doing themselves in terms of startups,” he said.

One such startup, as well as event partner, was Trendy Tyme, which sells fashion watches. Monica Desai, the 22-year-old founder, is seeking her masters in business management at UF. She said she is proud of the strong tradition of Gator innovation, and one day, she hopes to extend the event to a weekly happening, similar to the University of Central Florida’s weekly market day.

“I just wanted it so that other entrepreneurs can come out here, get to know each other, help each other out and promote their businesses,” she said.

A version of this story ran on page 5 on 11/7/2013 under the headline "Student entrepreneurs get crafty"