Student section makes presence heard at Florida volleyball games

<p>Members of "Tolbert 5" watch the Florida women's volleyball team during a home match this year in the O'Connell Center.</p>

Members of "Tolbert 5" watch the Florida women's volleyball team during a home match this year in the O'Connell Center.

It makes the sounds that are heard when there is complete silence. It does its best to get into the opposition’s head and helps the home team anyway it can.

The student section at home games for Florida women’s volleyball team has used many different techniques to make sure its presence is felt for the past three seasons, and has received some recognition from the University of Florida for its efforts.

One group of student supporters is called “Tolbert 5,” or “Tol 5.” Since its creation in 2011, it has consisted of about 25 students that live on the fifth floor of Tolbert Hall.

Travis Dobler, a 20-year-old advertising major and one of the founders, said he used to religiously attend all of the games, and that the group started going to the matches when the resident assistant at the time thought it would be a good idea to get the floor involved on campus.

He said that when the games became popular for students, a rivalry developed between the “Tol 5” group and another collection of students on the third floor of East Hall. Dobler said the rivalry was fueled by the two groups bringing various signs, by students painting each other’s bodies with messages and by seeing who could wear the outfits that would stand out the most.

After the football team’s home game against Alabama in 2011, Dobler and fellow co-founder Dante Frisiello traveled to the University of Georgia for a Florida away match. Frisiello said coach Mary Wise approached some of the students to make the trip, and that the university helped to cover their expenses.

“Tol 5” also performed a flash mob on Nov. 18, 2011 in a home match against Georgia. Kyle Kreiter, an aerospace engineering major, choreographed the dance to the song “This Is How We Do It” by Montell Jordan, which is played during every pregame warm-up for Florida. He said they were friends with some of the members of the security staff and that security allowed them to do it.

In 2011, Dobler drew enough attention to what “Tol 5” was doing that the University Athletic Association approached them about ways to get more students to attend the games, according to Alicia Longworth, director of marketing and promotions for the UAA.

She said the goal each season is to increase student attendance and change the atmosphere at the matches by increasing the intensity from fans. She said that partnering with “Tol 5” will help to make students more dedicated to the program.

She added that Wise speaks to the resident assistants in the Tolbert area each August to encourage student attendance. The Rowdy Reptile Rewards program was created in 2011 to encourage more students to attend Gator home sporting events. There are many “student only” giveaways, like t-shirts, posters and bags, for volleyball matches.

Grant Filowitz, a member of “Tol 5” who attends almost every game, said the group can continue to thrive for years to come, but it will take help from the university to survive. He recommended reinstalling the whiteboard the students once used to write messages, promote home games and have more appealing giveaways.

Jason McKibben first started attending games during the 2011 season and said even though he did not live in the Tolbert area, he felt welcomed into the group.

He sees the group staying together for years to come as long as the university is more conscious of some of the home dates. He cited the two home games that were scheduled the weekend the football team played at Louisiana State University—a time when many students take the trip to Louisiana.

When the students are in full force, their impact is felt by the players and coaches. Mackenzie Dagostino, a sophomore setter on the team, said it’s great to have them supporting the team, instead of being harassed as they are in away territories.

Ziva Recek, a sophomore outside hitter, added that sometimes she starts laughing at the sayings the students have, and that it helps to keep her loose. Each player gets her own personalized chant when serving, and Recek’s is “rain check.”

Despite the fact that she doesn’t pay attention to some of the specific things the students say, Wise said the Gators are very lucky to have students who are so actively involved in the sport.

She recently approached McKibben and Filowitz after one of the matches and said she will purchase pizza for the students in hopes of them filling the stands for what could be Florida’s biggest match of the year against undefeated Missouri on Nov. 15.

Follow RJ Schaffer on Twitter @rjschaffer.