UF amends Greek pledge policies after receiving allegations

<p>UF’s chapter of Alpha Tau Omega received a letter from UF President Bernie Machen about an incident in front of the fraternity house.</p>

UF’s chapter of Alpha Tau Omega received a letter from UF President Bernie Machen about an incident in front of the fraternity house.

After receiving hazing allegations against several fraternities, UF administrators are enacting changes in pledging processes.

Vice President for Student Affairs Dave Kratzer outlined the new rules in a letter sent Monday to all 61 Greek organizations.

Chapters are now prohibited from conducting new member education programs for longer than eight weeks. They can’t host events where new members must stay in the house overnight, and they can’t enforce pledge driving — a practice that requires new members to drive initiated members places at any time. An alumnus, alumna or chapter adviser approved by the organization’s headquarters must be present at initiation during the Spring as well, according to the letter.

“I think if we’re going to change the culture, we need to send a strong message,” Kratzer said in an interview. “Anything that takes away from or diminishes academic success is not OK.”

The 10 fraternities currently facing hazing allegations include Sigma Nu, Alpha Tau Omega, Beta Theta Pi, Chi Phi, Kappa Alpha Order, Phi Delta Theta, Pi Kappa Alpha, Tau Epsilon Phi, Theta Chi and Zeta Beta Tau.

One fraternity — Sigma Nu — is also facing formal charges of hazing and alcohol violations, according to a UF Dean of Students Office charge letter.

The organizations will be unable to take on new members next semester unless they appeal the allegations to a committee headed by Jen Day Shaw, UF’s associate vice president and dean of students.

Shaw said the appeal route is expedited from the normal conduct and conflict resolution sequence to ensure the chapters can address allegations before the Spring semester starts.

Officials notified national representatives and alumni as well as active members of the changes, Kratzer said.

“We want to have the entire fraternity structure look like this,” he said. “I’m confident that our Greek system can be better than what it is.”

During the Spring and Summer semesters, eight fraternities faced formal charge letters, mostly pertaining to hazing and alcohol violations.

All charges have since been resolved, said UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes.

Recently, Kratzer said, the university has taken preventative strides to improve Greek life, and this is just another step.

“I think we’re reminding them of what their stated purpose and goals are and saying, ‘Look, we’re going to hold you to that standard,’” he said. “I’m confident they’ll get there.”

A version of this story ran on page 1 on 11/19/2013 under the headline "UF amends Greek pledge policies"