Columnist thankful for lessons learned through mistakes

Former alligatorSports Editor Matt Watts looked at my computer screen and laughed.

“Try again,” he said.

“You’re kidding me, right?”

“Try again.”

“Seriously?”

“Try again.”

That was the fourth time Watts rejected my story. It was Spring 2012.

“Your lede sucks. Try again.”

It took me six tries before I finally turned in a lede to his liking.

Now that I think about it, Watts was probably messing with me. Knowing Watts, he would definitely screw with me like that for his own entertainment, but I digress.

I don’t remember that story’s subject, whom I quoted in it or even that damn lede. But I remember the process, one that defined my time at the Alligator.

The people who know me would never tell you this because they’re way too nice, but I stumble often. Few things ever go right the first time, but I prefer it that way.

I learn from the bruises.

The first time I applied for a job at the Alligator, I came in confident. Just like everyone else who applies to join our section, I was the sports editor at my high school paper.

I wrote stories about concussions, extreme weight loss in wrestling and Michael Vick’s return to the NFL after spending time in prison on dog fighting charges.

Damn, I was hot stuff.

But the Alligator disagreed.

They rejected me.

I was so mad I didn’t pick up that damn newspaper for two months.

But instead of giving up, I immersed myself in blogging, writing about Gators sports like a madman.

Sure, I was mediocre, but the guys at the Alligator must have appreciated my work ethic or determination or something, so they hired me when I re-applied four months later.

But I wasn’t done stumbling.

When I began writing this column in May 2012, I didn’t know what I was getting into.

I still struggle with the words I write here because of the platform this paper gives me. I have been extremely fortunate to work with incredibly talented people at the largest student-run college newspaper in the country.

Thanks to the work of much better reporters and columnists before me, I have this space to give my opinions — and the occasional #HotSportsTake — to a wide audience.

For that, and for you, I’m thankful.

I’m always thankful for the nice emails and the retweets, but I’m even more thankful for the times y’all let me have it. It’s happened a lot, and y’all know who you are.

Some of the feedback was funny simply because of how ridiculous it was. But I am more appreciative of the times — and there were many — when you called me out for a dumb column or respectfully disagreed with my other more salient opinions.

At times, I stumbled, but I have learned how to get back up.

I appreciate you either kicking me while I was down or, more often, lifting me up. Without you, this column and the experience of a lifetime would not be possible.

I have written 348 stories and nearly every alligatorSports Brand Picks Column from the past two years, but as Will Muschamp says, “It’s not add water, instant player writer.”

I have a support system to thank.

To Caroline, thank you for being so amazing and staying up late at night to talk to me after I got off from work. I know I’ve cost you hours and hours of sleep.

To my parents and sisters, thanks for your love and support.

To Adam, thanks for taking a chance on a mediocre blogger.

To Watts, thanks for the tough love.

To Luca, thank you for your guidance and dealing with my insanity. Without you, this job would have probably destroyed me.

To Phillip, thanks for being a friend, building me up and being a terrific colleague since we were both bright-eyed amateurs covering women’s basketball.

To Edgar and Joe, thanks for your wisdom and your experience.

To Brooksie, Sean, John and Dan, thanks for being great SID’s.

To Boothe, Tom, Holt, Jett and Katie, thank you for being awesome co-workers and making the office an amazing environment.

To Jurnovoy, Pincus, Adam, Riva and Rachel, thank you for not killing us in car accidents. Y’all made those football road trips bearable.

To Corey, Fink, the other Jurnovoy and Jordan, thanks for cleaning up my messes.

And to those of you I haven’t named or forgotten, I’m sorry. There are simply too many people to count.

I’ve gone on too long here, so I’ll leave you with this.

Muschamp likes to describe his toughest players as guys who “stick their face in the fan.”

Every time I wrote this column, I stuck my face in the fan. The blades nicked me every now and then, but there was nothing like that cool breeze.

Thanks for reading.

Follow Joe Morgan on Twitter @joe_morgan.