Easy substitutions for healthy baking

Dessert is an essential part of my day. However, I sometimes feel conflicted with guilt if I over-indulge, which distracts me from enjoying said dessert. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has experienced this, so here are some tips for the health-conscious baker for creating delicious, guilt-free desserts:

1. Mashed avocado for butter

Avocado can be substituted for butter in most baking recipes using a one to one ratio. If the recipe calls for half a cup of butter, use half a cup of mashed avocado. This might seem like an unusual substitution, but avocado has a mild flavor and a rich texture that lends well to baked goods. The avocado flavor will not be noticeable in the finished product, but it may give the sweets a greenish tint.

2. Mashed banana for butter

Mashed banana is another common, easy substitution for butter. It also uses a one to one substitution ratio. I know from personal experience that mashed bananas are excellent in providing moistness, especially in muffins. The riper the bananas are, the better. You might want to slightly reduce your cooking time or oven temperature because the goods will bake a little faster. The same goes for the avocado substitution.

3. Applesauce for oil

Applesauce is a great substitution for oil because it greatly reduces calories and fat. Your desserts will be much healthier, and they’ll taste just as great (so you can have your cake and eat it too!) When trying this substitution with a new recipe, start by substituting half the amount of oil with applesauce using a one to one ratio. If the sweets turn out well, substitute the full amount next time. I wouldn’t suggest these substitutions for desserts that should be crisp; they work best with cakes, breads and muffins.