Gainesville businesses celebrate Small Business Saturday

Businesses across Gainesville benefited from Small Business Saturday, which encouraged customers to support independent, locally owned businesses. The day-after-Black-Friday event was promoted on social media and has gained traction in the past few years.

“I think we did pretty good,” said 66-year-old Anda Chance about Saturday sales at the Artisans’ Guild Gallery.

Chance, an employee at the downtown gallery, said she supports shopping locally because she prefers to keep money in town.

Artisans’ Guild Gallery, located at 201 SE Second Place, is an independent business that has reaped success from local supporters. Chance said the cooperative has been around for about 40 years, although the gallery has only been in its current location for about two years. The gallery sells one-of-a-kind arts and crafts made from clay, fiber, glass, wood and other media.

“We can’t do what (bigger businesses) do,” Chance said. “But we don’t try to compete with that.”

The gallery is located near the Union Street Station shopping area, which is home to other local businesses such as Hear Again Music and Movies, Persona Vintage Clothing & Costumes and Sarkara Sweets.

A flier from the Shop Small campaign was posted on the door of Sarkara Sweets. It read, “Shop small with us for delectable vegan cupcakes.”

American Express contributed to the nationwide movement by mapping out a directory of local businesses participating in the campaign. The credit card company offered benefits to cardholders who made purchases of $10 or more at qualifying locations Saturday.

Though the campaign encourages shopping small, the fees involved with processing American Express card transactions have caused some local businesses to pass on the major corporation.

“We don’t use American Express for that reason,” Chance said.

Buying local helps the city by creating jobs and improving the economy, according to the Gainesville Area Chamber of Commerce website. Sales tax from local purchases are reinvested in the community, contributing to city-provided services and allowing the “mom and pop” shops to support community organizations.

Erick Edwing, a 19-year-old UF public relations sophomore, said he would buy some of his holiday gifts locally this year.

“Small businesses usually have the coolest things,” he said. “Shopping there is different from Black Friday, where people will fight over a discounted toaster.”

A version of this story ran on page 5 on 12/2/2013 under the headline "Shoppers celebrate small business"