Pint-sized, caped crusaders will dash through campus on Sunday, and it’s all for the kids.

The annual FT5K, a 5K race hosted by Dance Marathon, will raise money and awareness for the UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital, which is Gainesville’s local Children’s Miracle Network Hospital.

For this year’s superhero-themed race, a new addition is the Mini K, a short run that is open to children, said Jordan Robbins, the DM community events overall chair.

“We did not have the Mini K last year, so I’m hoping for a good turnout with that,” the 22-year-old UF public relations senior said.

Preregistration for the “Save the Day FT5K Presented by the Collier Companies” is currently open online at floridadm.org/FT5K. Day-of registration will begin at 8 a.m., and the race will start at about 9 a.m. at the Commuter Lot.

Molly Vazquez, the DM public relations overall chair, said she believes events like this are good occasions for the DM staff to spread the word about the miracles the Children’s Miracle Network makes happen.

“It has the opportunity for more people to start to love the cause and want to volunteer their time to it,” the 21-year-old UF public relations senior said.

[A version of this story ran on page 3 on 1/30/2014 under the headline "Dance Marathon to host superhero 5K"]