Gainesville Chipotle restaurants experience steak shortage

On the front page of Chipotle’s website, a photo of a familiar foil-wrapped burrito is emblazoned with the words, “Responsibly raised.”

But over Winter Break, the restaurant’s Gainesville locations hung signs on the Plexiglas where patrons order, emblazoned with the words, “FYI,” followed by a brief notice.

Both locations — one on West University Avenue and the other on Southwest Archer Road — are not serving the “responsibly raised” steak Chipotle typically sells because of a shortage.

For the next few weeks, Chipotle spokesman Chris Arnold said, only “conventionally raised” sources of steak will be served locally in dishes like the company’s staple burritos and burrito bowls.

“It’s our preference to serve only meat from animals that are raised in a humane way and without the use of antibiotics or added hormones, and we do more of that than anyone,” Arnold said. “But the availability of beef raised to this higher standard is proving to be a challenge at the moment and has been for several months now.”

Last year, similar signs were hung in other areas of the country for a brief period of time, usually for a few weeks, Arnold said. This is the first time Gainesville stores have experienced the effects of the shortage.

He apologized to patrons for the switch on the steak and barbacoa steak option, calling the situation “difficult.”

“Because beef cattle are raised to 30-36 months, it’s very difficult to impact upon the available supply quickly,” Arnold said.

Other menu options such as chicken and carnitas are not affected.

Juby Mammen, the service manager at the University Avenue location and a 22-year-old UF biology senior, said he doesn’t think the switch has affected business.

UF telecommunication freshman Allie Mangan, 18, said the switch didn’t affect her dinner.

“I think it’s good they said something,” Mangan said while eating a steak burrito bowl, “but I didn’t even notice.”

A version of this story ran on page 8 on 1/8/2014 under the headline "Gainesville Chipotle customers not having a cow over beef issue"