Students preparing for the Spring start of GatorNights should note a time change.

The Friday night alternative for students will now start at 8 p.m., a change from the previous 6:30 p.m. start time.

“We changed the time of the event to provide a better experience for the students who come,” said GatorNights program coordinator Joshua Wilson.

GatorNights, free for students with their Gator 1 Cards, is a series of events on Friday nights in the Reitz Union where students can watch movies, enjoy midnight munchies and take part in interactive art activities.

“The later time now allows students to come to the event and enjoy all of the perks,” said Wilson.

Each week, about 1,500 students attend GatorNights.

Nicole Lopez, a 19-year-old UF health science sophomore, said she tries to attend GatorNights occasionally throughout the semester.

“The time change can be a good thing for students still getting out of later classes,” she said.

GatorNights regular Tatiana Recicar, an 18-year-old UF animal sciences freshman, said she prefers a later start time for the event.

“I have more time to get to GatorNights because I have class that ends late,” she said.

A version of this story ran on page 4 on 1/16/2014 under the headline "GatorNights now LaterNights, will start at 8"