<p class="p1">Shae Rollins, a 19-year-old UF biological engineering freshman, takes a study break with friends in Marston Science Library.</p>

Shae Rollins, a 19-year-old UF biological engineering freshman, takes a study break with friends in Marston Science Library.

Students aimlessly scanning Library West for a study spot may have a better option next school year: Marston Science Library will offer a renovated study space for more than 600 students.

UF President Bernie Machen recently approved plans for the $5.7 million renovation project, which will turn the first floor of Marston into a study area for students.

The space will include about 25 study rooms, 70 additional computers and potentially a Starbucks.

Diane Bruxvoort, senior associate dean of UF libraries, said the university has only 3,400 study spaces available for the thousands of students who attend UF.

“Library West is full much of the time,” Bruxvoort said. “People are sitting on the floor huddled in corners. We certainly expect that this space will be of great use.”

Students can expect renovations to begin in early May, but the space will still be open to students studying for finals.

“I don’t think we will be at the point of disrupting finals,” Bruxvoort said.

But the changes to Marston are still a concern to some students who regularly study at the library.

Clara Mabour, a 20-year-old UF biology sophomore, said she finds Marston to be a quieter study space than other libraries on campus. Mabour said she does not want Marston to become like Library West, where people often go to socialize instead of study.

“People who really want to study come here,” she said. “Library West is more social — it’s for group studying. It might be pretty good to have a Starbucks though.”

Even though a Starbucks is already located nearby Marston in the Hub, negotiations are still being held to have Starbucks inside the library.

Once funding becomes accessible, Newell Hall will also be converted into a study space for students.

The planned renovations come after college campuses across the U.S. are moving library collections online to make room for bookless study spaces.

Marston currently houses thousands of government documents and scientific journals, which will all be placed into storage and will be available upon student request or via electronic access.

Back in 2009, study rooms were added to the second floor of Marston.

Rin Azrak, a 20-year-old UF biotechnology junior, said renovating Marston would be a nice change because Library West is often too crowded for her to study there.

“It will be more efficient for people to study in,” she said. “Library West gets cramped. It’s always first-come first-serve, unless you have a friend save a spot for you.”

A version of this story ran on page 1 on 1/21/2014 under the headline "Marston study area renovations to begin in May"

A student studies with friends in Marston Science Library in January 2014.