Students jump onto new TransLoc Rider app bandwagon

TransLoc Rider app
TransLoc Rider app

An updated version of the widely used TransLoc app might help Gainesville Regional Transit System bus riders get their mornings in gear a little faster.

The new app, TransLoc Rider, was released in response to the increasing amount of rider usage from 2012 to 2013, said Scott Fox, director of UF’s Transportation and Parking Services.

“The new rider app is a very nice upgrade,” he wrote in an email. “It is a far more interactive experience than simply looking at a map.”

New features include a service that allows users to locate the stops and routes nearest them via GPS, search for a desired route or stop with a new search component, and set alerts to notify users when their bus is five, 10 or 15 minutes away.

The upgrade is a welcome change for students who have used the older version of the TransLoc app.

Morgan Emery, a 22-year-old UF computer science junior, said she uses the updated app to commute to campus from her apartment and appreciates the upgrade because it helps take some stress out of her morning routine.

“I have a couple extra minutes in the morning,” Emery said, “because it shows me exactly how much time I have.”

A version of this story ran on page 1 on 1/17/2014 under the headline "Students jump onto new TransLoc Rider app bandwagon"