Sophomore plays key role in blowout victory against Jacksonville

<p>Devon Schneider drives toward the net during Florida’s 21-5 win against Jacksonville on Wednesday at Donald R. Dizney Stadium. Schneider scored four points against the Dolphins after she was held scoreless against the Tar Heels in the Gators’ 20-8 season-opening loss on Feb. 8.</p>

Devon Schneider drives toward the net during Florida’s 21-5 win against Jacksonville on Wednesday at Donald R. Dizney Stadium. Schneider scored four points against the Dolphins after she was held scoreless against the Tar Heels in the Gators’ 20-8 season-opening loss on Feb. 8.

A loss at home on your birthday would be one you would never forget.

However, on sophomore Devon Schneider’s 20th birthday, she got a big win.

No. 8 Florida lacrosse (1-1) went head-to-head with Jacksonville (0-2) on Wednesday, beating the Dolphins handily 21-5.

While junior Shannon Gilroy posted seven points to assist the Gators to their first win of the season, Schneider made an equally important impact on the game.

The sophomore notched a career-high four points, won two draws and forced one turnover for the Gators to take the win. She also recorded a season best in draw controls for the night.

Prior to Wednesday, her career-high for a single game was two points.

Schneider said that the practices following UF’s 20-8 season-opening loss at No. 1 UNC on Saturday focused a lot on winning ground balls and draws.

“Our focus in practice was mainly just getting those 50-50 balls,” Schneider said.

“They are anybody’s game, so we really needed to come up with them and I think that we really improved on that.”

The 6-foot-2 attacker scored no goals at UNC and was 0-1 in free position shots.

However, Schneider’s play against the Dolphins may have been the confidence boost the sophomore and the team needed.

“It just shows that we can play together and that we can be the team that we know we can be,” Schneider said. “It shows not only us, but it shows our fans that we can do it. We can win.”

Schneider is on her way to topping her points total from 2013.

In her freshman year at Florida, she scored only six points. Wednesday’s game alone has put her two points away from tying her season high.

The Lititz, Pa., native made big impacts for the team in her freshman year, most notably when she came off the bench in the second round of the NCAA Tournament and scored a point against Denver.

Schneider has started in the first two games of 2014 and is expected to start against High Point on Saturday at 1 p.m.

Follow Eden Otero on Twitter @edenotero_l