‘Vagina Monologues’ at Hippodrome to fund domestic violence prevention

This weekend more than 15 actresses will give staged monologues all about one topic: their vaginas.

“The Vagina Monologues,” returning to the Hippodrome State Theatre, raises money to end violence against women.

Last year, the show sold out the Hippodrome Cinema all three days. This year, the show is moving to the Hippodrome’s main stage to accommodate a larger audience.

Valentine’s Day showings of “The Vagina Monologues” are already sold out, but shows on Feb. 22 at 2 p.m. and on Feb. 24 at 7:30 p.m. are each selling tickets for $25.

Emily Snider saw the show in Gainesville with her mother when she was 17, before she became co-director of the play.

“I remember feeling a little embarrassed to be watching some parts of it,” she said. But, in retrospect, “It was eye-opening, especially in those formative years. It gets you to start thinking.”

She said the monologues are meant to equally educate and entertain.

Ian Cavitt, a 19-year-old UF computer science sophomore, said the boundaries the monologues are pushing are a good thing.

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 2/14/2014 under the headline "‘Vagina Monologues’ at Hipp to fund domestic violence prevention"]