Meeting new people can be fun and interesting (Omegle, anyone?), but talking to strangers can also be intimidating and awkward.

According to a recent Tic Tac commercial, 67 percent of people could use an excuse to meet the person next to them.

The statistic was taken from a survey commissioned by the E-cigarette company NEO for National Fresh Breath Day, which reported that 67 percent of men and women ranked bad breath as the biggest dating turnoff.

Although offering a breath mint to a halitosis victim could be a useful icebreaker, a number of other conversation starters can fill an awkward silence.

1) Try a “Hey, did you hear about…?” approach. Asking people for their thoughts on current events shows you’re interested in what they have to say, and if the topic is interesting enough, an engaging conversation is sure to kick off.

2) Take a lesson from Regina George, the mean girl who had no problem starting a conversation, and compliment someone on his or her outfit, accessories or physical features (avoid catcalls) — even if it is the “ugliest effing skirt” you’ve ever seen.

3) There’s always something interesting about a foreigner. If someone has an unusual or exotic accent, what’s the harm in asking about it? A simple question like “Where are you from?” can lead to a string of others.

4) “How about that weather?” Luckily, Florida weather tends to be especially moody. When a freezing, foggy morning turns into a sunny afternoon hot enough to melt the lip balm in your pocket, complaining about the weather is so commonplace, it’s a fail-proof icebreaker.

5) Comment on food. People love food, and Pinterest proves it. If someone is walking around with a new Starbucks drink or (fingers crossed) the ever-elusive Cronut, don’t hesitate to ask about it.

6) Showing your sense of humor is typically well-received. Even if you’re not the best comic in the world, comic relief is always appreciated and even a self-deprecating joke can help a conversation take off. Think hashtag speak like “FML” or “YOLO.”

7) For years, teachers have used the simplest icebreaker to date: “Tell us a little bit about yourself.” Introducing yourself with the old-fashioned “Hi, my name is…” is sometimes the best approach if you can’t find a way to break the silence.

And, just in case you’re interested in breaking the ice with a breath mint, this year National Fresh Breath Day falls on Aug. 6.

[A version of this story ran on page 10 on 3/27/2014 under the headline "Conversation starters to help break the ice"]