‘Helios’ Review: New album takes chances, frays at the edges

After months of anticipation, The Fray has released its newest effort “Helios” on Epic Records.

“Helios” marks The Fray’s fourth full-length album, one in which the band experiments with numerous genres and sounds, but fails to create a cohesive vision.

Known for its emotive lyrics and arena-rock style, The Fray opts for pursuing disco, blues and down-tempo styles for this album.

“Hold My Hand” kicks it off with a distinctly raw sound from vocalist Isaac Slade, complemented by desperate lyrics and soulful choir backing. “Love Don’t Die” channels The Black Keys and The White Stripes for a boot-stomping blues anthem.

Other songs delve into surprising genres, notably “Give It Away” with its Nile Rodgers-esque guitar chords and a funky hook not too far removed from ‘70s disco classics.

The middle of the album returns to The Fray’s traditional, pop-alternative style with songs such as “Hurricane,” providing uplifting, love-stricken lyrics and funky basslines. “Our Last Days” will register familiarly with dedicated listeners for its cheery piano keys and Slade’s hopeful crooning.

The end of the album emphasizes delightfully nuanced guitar playing, best seen in the crisp chords of “Shadow and a Dancer.”

Though the band can be applauded for pushing boundaries and deviating from its beloved style, the album ultimately fails in uniting its many divided pieces. Although songs like “Break Your Plans” tease low-key ballads, the choruses usually play it safe and stick to characteristically catchy yet vapid songwriting.

Fans will enjoy the effort but perhaps crave a bit more experimentation and fulfillment for The Fray’s next album.

[A version of this story ran on page 8 on 3/13/2014 under the headline “‘Helios’ Review: New album takes chances, frays at the edges"]