Lake Wauburg high ropes course and elements challenge officially opens

<p class="p1"><span class="s1">A group makes its way across the top level of the new UF Outdoor Team Challenge Courses at Lake Wauburg on Friday. About 20 people strapped on harnesses to climb to the top and zip line to the bottom.&nbsp;</span></p>

A group makes its way across the top level of the new UF Outdoor Team Challenge Courses at Lake Wauburg on Friday. About 20 people strapped on harnesses to climb to the top and zip line to the bottom. 

After a two-month delay, UF’s High Ropes and Elements Challenge Course was finally christened with the screams and cheers of students and officials.

Though the course at UF’s Lake Wauburg, about 15 miles south of campus, has been open since January, the grand opening was postponed until Friday due to inclement weather.

Carlos Gordian, a 22-year-old UF material science and engineering senior, was tasked with cutting the ceremonial rope for his part in the project as a chairman of the board of directors for RecSports.

After the ceremony, Vice President of Student Affairs Dave Kratzer climbed cargo nets to the third tier.

Then, he soared across a 40-foot-high, 225-foot-long zip line.

Michelle Alexander, coordinator for parks and outdoor recreation, said the course can be useful for teambuilding and teaching life lessons, even when climbers lose their footing.

“The interesting thing is watching the light bulbs pop on for people,” she said. “Because in life and everything we do, there’s going to be those moments where somebody stumbles.”

The 21-element obstacle course is free for UF students during Spring and Fall semesters on weekends.

Students must make reservations for groups of 12 to 36 people.

Non-UF groups can make reservations to use the course for $30 to $75, depending on the challenges requested.

[A version of this story ran on page 1 on 3/24/2014 under the headline "Lake Wauburg high ropes course officially opens"]