No bologna: Last Quiznos location in Gainesville to close Saturday

<p class="p1">Lance O’Carroll, the owner of Gainesville’s last Quiznos, makes a sandwich for a customer. Located at 3545 SW 34th St., the store will be making its last sub Saturday after being open for 10 years.</p>

Lance O’Carroll, the owner of Gainesville’s last Quiznos, makes a sandwich for a customer. Located at 3545 SW 34th St., the store will be making its last sub Saturday after being open for 10 years.

Gainesville’s last Quiznos will be closing its doors Saturday.

The store, located at 3545 SW 34th St., has been open for 10 years.

Lance O’Carroll, who has owned the store for the last four years, said he decided to retire after seeing a gradual decrease in sales.

He said he thought about selling the business, but the landlord has other plans for the space once the lease is up.

“My relationship with the people is what I’ll miss the most,” he said.

He has been telling customers the news as they come in and said he has seen how much the store will be missed.

“There are a lot of addicted Quiznos fans,” he said. “Everyone is really sad.”

UF used to house a Quiznos in the Hub, but it was replaced with a Provisions on Demand Market in November 2012.

Nazanin Yazdi, a 26-year-old UF interior architecture junior, has worked at Quiznos for the past two years.

For Yazdi, Quiznos was never just work.

It was a source of good times and conversation with co-workers and customers.

Yazdi expects the store’s last day to be an emotional one.

“I will miss working with Lance and seeing the regular customers,” she said.

Joey Martinez, a 29-year-old UF public relations junior, said he was disappointed to hear the store is closing.

Although he had not been to that location, he frequented a Quiznos in Jacksonville.

“I used to go there on my lunch breaks when I worked in Jacksonville,” Martinez said. “I really enjoyed it.”

He said he plans to visit the Gainesville store before it closes Saturday.

[A version of this story ran on page 4 on 3/11/2014 under the headline "No bologna: Last Quiznos location in Gainesville to close"]