Gainesville Police arrested a volunteer at a local church Wednesday on accusations of sexually assaulting a 2-year-old girl on the playground.

Officers arrested 64-year-old Floyd Delmer Wilson on charges of sexual battery, according to an arrest report.

Between 9:30 and 11:30 a.m. Monday, staff members babysat the toddler at Parkview Baptist Church, located at 3403 NW 13th St.

While bathing her daughter that evening, the mother noticed she was hurt. The girl said someone touched her genitals and reenacted the touching on a doll, according to the report.

During questioning, Wilson eventually admitted to penetrating her with two fingers but said it was by accident when he tried to pick her up. While officers questioned him, he often smiled and also reenacted the hand motions, according to the report.

Wilson did not give a definitive yes or no answer about whether he touched other children at the church. He said phrases like “not to my knowledge,” “I do not believe so,” and “I can’t remember.”

A witness told officers on the day of the incident he did not see any inappropriate touching, but when he walked out to the playground where Wilson was with the toddler, she was “hysterically crying.”

Parkview Baptist Church released a statement saying it “will have no further comment until we learn more from the criminal investigation.”

Wilson is in jail with a $100,000 bond.

[A version of this story ran on page 9 on 4/4/2014 under the headline "Church volunteer arrested on sexual assault charges"]