The Hyppo ice pops opens next to Mochi in downtown Gainesville

<p class="p1"><span class="s1">Nicole Giaquinto, a 20-year-old UF public relations sophomore, displays a chocolate-covered ice pop at The Hyppo Gourmet Ice Pops on Monday evening. The Hyppo opened its doors for the first time this weekend.&nbsp;</span></p>

Nicole Giaquinto, a 20-year-old UF public relations sophomore, displays a chocolate-covered ice pop at The Hyppo Gourmet Ice Pops on Monday evening. The Hyppo opened its doors for the first time this weekend. 

And so begins the cold competition for fruit-flavored dessert options. In one corner, the hometown hero Mochi, and in the other, rising rookie The Hyppo.

The Hyppo Gourmet Ice Pops held its soft opening Friday evening next door to Mochi downtown.

It boasts offbeat flavors such as cilantro pineapple and mocha cheesecake.

The ice pops cost $3.50. A chocolate dip is an extra dollar.

The Hyppo started serving all-natural ice pops in St. Augustine in 2010. The Gainesville location will hold an official grand opening in two to three weeks.

The creator and owner of The Hyppo, Stephen DiMare, said the fresh fruit it uses makes all the difference.

“We want more stores like this to bring the diversity of the Popsicle and the idea of having this alternative treat especially for a lot of vegans and people that can’t have ice cream,” he said.

The store is in the process of removing dairy from 200 of its 450 recipes to expand its market to the lactose intolerant.

Manager of the neighboring Mochi Chelsea Heidish said she doesn’t think the opening will affect business because the products are different.

However, both claim to be healthier options than ice cream. Christianne Biggane, a 21-year-old UF neuroscience and nutrition junior, said it seems like the two stores would attract the same crowd. She first encountered the ice pops on a hot day at the Mumford and Sons stopover in St. Augustine.

“I could definitely see it (being successful),” she said. “The demographic is here for sure, especially because they are vegan and relatively healthy.”

Previously a vegan herself, Biggane said the store will probably become a go-to for her.

Kristine Myny, a 24-year-old UF applied physiology and kinesiology graduate, said a new frozen treat store opening right next to Mochi seems like a bold move.

“The other place will grab customers, but Mochi is already low-calorie,” she said, “and it already has a following.”

However, she said anything new and innovative like this usually attracts college students.

Greg Kusel, 19-year-old UF environmental engineering freshman, said he thinks the pops will reach the same market in a different way.

When he thinks of ice pops, he thinks “of being outside in the sun, not really a dessert place like Mochi,” he said.

[A version of this story ran on page 9 on 4/1/2014 under the headline "New gourmet dessert shop pops up next to Mochi downtown"]