This Week in Social Justice: Confessions of a first-time dancer

When the idea of Dance Marathon was first raised, I thought, “26.2 hours? No big deal.” However, it’s hard to understand how much goes into this event before, during and after if you’ve never experienced it before. Dance Marathon starts way before all the dancers are lined up outside for check-in.

All of the preparation and fundraising goes towards Children’s Miracle Network Hospital (CMNH). According to its official website, since 1983, CMNH has raised more than $4.7 billion. This money has gone toward research, training and new equipment, all to help the children who require treatment and care for different illnesses. There are 170 children’s hospitals across the U.S., where 62 children are admitted per minute.

Having UF Health Shands right here on campus makes this cause near and dear to the hearts of UF students.

Dance Marathon is one of the first things brought up when the fall semester starts. Spirit point check-ins start up quickly. You will begin to see new DM shirts flood campus. The main fundraising events happen throughout the year. Organizations meet their miracle child and family. Captains work tirelessly all year with their staff and with the miracle families in order to make DM a success.

Then, the big event is upon us. Dancers arrive early to go through the check-in process, and captains arrive even earlier to make sure the final details are set. The countdown for the dancers begins and they’re off! Standing commences for the next 26.2 hours.

That may seem like a lot, but there are numerous things available to pass the time. One of the main events is the line dance: a mash-up of songs with different dance moves morale staff leads in teaching the dancers and other staff. It is done every hour to keep spirits up and provide a distraction. It is a very involved dance, but once learned, very fun.

Theme hours provide a source of entertainment with games, crafts, and props for dressing up. This year’s theme hours included Despicable Me Hour, Dino DM, High School, Pirate, Bikini Bottom and Wizard of Oz. As a special treat for the dancers, there was a surprise theme hour: a hunger games style competition to help raise money for each “tribute.”

Every so often throughout the event, a miracle family would get up on stage and tell their story on what their child’s illness is, how they came to Children’s Miracle Network Hospital and thank to everyone for all their hard work and dedication.

In my opinion, this was the best part of the event. Whenever I felt tired or sore, I was reminded of the reason I wanted to be a dancer in the first place: to stand for those who can’t.

Being awake for almost 30 hours and standing and dancing for most of it was quite tiring; I’m not going to lie. But it was one of the most rewarding and humbling experiences of my life.

In those ten seconds, when they revealed that this year’s total was $1,528,330.16, it made everything worth it.

I highly recommend getting involved in Dance Marathon. Dancing might not be your thing, but there are many staff and captain positions that are available.

However, if you feel the call to dance, here are a few pieces of advice:

Bring several changes of clothes. You would not want to stay in the same clothes for the entire time. Different clothes will give you a fresh feeling.

Try to keep your first pair of shoes on as long as possible. Change after 12 to 16 hours.

A few extras to pack that I suggest are rice and tennis balls for your feet. They will help soothe the feet while you’re standing for so long.

If you need to get some work done, there is a study room available. It is very helpful in allowing the time to pass.

Buy a dancer package. My suggestion is you should get at least the swim and shower one. All the money still goes towards CMNH, and that shower will probably be the best one in your life.

If your friends are dancing, come visit them, bring them food and offer them piggyback rides. It is a great way to show support.

Get to know the miracle families. Talk to them and find out about their story.

After all, everything we do is for the kids.