<p>Will Muschamp signs autographs Tuesday afternoon after a press conference at Emerson Hall to discuss his plans for the upcoming season, which begins Aug. 30.</p>

Will Muschamp signs autographs Tuesday afternoon after a press conference at Emerson Hall to discuss his plans for the upcoming season, which begins Aug. 30.

One year ago, Florida was coming off a magical 11-2 season that included a berth in the Allstate Sugar Bowl. The Gators were pegged to contend for a Southeastern Conference Eastern Division title and were even labeled as a dark-horse national title candidate in 2013.

This summer, the Gators are rebounding from a 4-8, injury-plagued season that brought the program from powerhouse to laughingstock in just one season’s time.

“I don’t blame anybody for being upset,” coach Will Muschamp said to the crowd at the Titletown Gator Club on Tuesday evening. “4-8 (is) unacceptable and we’ve got to get it fixed and that’s what we’re going to do.”

After Florida’s worst season since going 0-10-1 in 1979, there is only one thing to do as a coaching staff moving forward: stay positive and remain confident in the process.

But keeping that confidence in your system as head coach doesn’t preclude you from making changes. In January, Florida hired former Duke coach Kurt Roper as its new offensive coordinator and took on Mike Summers from USC to become the new offensive line coach.

The decision to make the new hires came after Florida finished with the worst total offense in the SEC, producing just 4.8 yards per play and 18.8 points per game — both those statistics put the Gators in the bottom 100 teams in the entire Football Bowl Subdivision.

When you hit rock bottom — and an argument could easily be made that 2013 was Florida’s rock bottom — the only way to go is up.

That process starts by improving the offense.

Roper’s track record at Duke is a positive one. Last season, his offense finished ranked in the top five in almost every offensive category in the Atlantic Coast Conference. The Blue Devils had one of the most explosive offenses in the conference, which included Clemson and national champion Florida State.

Perhaps more encouraging for Florida fans is the 178 rushing yards per game Duke racked up last year under Roper. The Gators enter this season with one of the deepest running back corps in the conference, led by redshirt senior Mack Brown, junior Matt Jones and sophomore Kelvin Taylor. Early enrollee Brandon Powell could get some reps if needed as well.

Quarterback Jeff Driskel looked more comfortable in the system during the spring and can create plays with his feet more easily in Roper’s shotgun formations than he could under center.

Quarterbacks Anthony Boone and Brandon Cornette, who split reps last season, combined for more than 500 yards rushing in Roper’s system in 2013 at Duke.

Perhaps the most challenging obstacle the Gators will face this season is one that they have no control over: Their schedule.

The 2014 season is highlighted by road trips to Alabama, Tennessee, Vanderbilt and FSU. Following the trip to Knoxville, Tenn., Florida is tasked with the challenge of having LSU and Missouri back-to-back at home. The Gators then get a bye before the annual Florida-Georgia game in Jacksonville — a contest that Muschamp has yet to win as either a player or coach.  

One year ago, it seemed Florida football was back on top. Now, Muschamp’s job security is in question depending on how 2014 goes.

With the season kicking off Aug. 30 against Idaho, Florida’s magic number is down to 100. Muschamp, the Gators and the fans have just 100 days left until they see if the changes made this offseason will be enough.

Follow Morgan Moriarty on Twitter @Morgan_Moriarty