Oyen, Woolcock eliminated in second round of NCAA Doubles Championships

<p>Sofie Oyen returns a ball during Florida’s 7-0 win against Florida State on Feb. 18 at the Ring Tennis Complex.</p>

Sofie Oyen returns a ball during Florida’s 7-0 win against Florida State on Feb. 18 at the Ring Tennis Complex.

The last two Florida players competing at the NCAA Doubles championships were eliminated Friday afternoon.

The No. 27 duo of Sofie Oyen and Belinda Woolcock fell 6-4, 4-6, 2-6 to Baylor’s No. 25 tandem of Vitoria Kisialeva and Blair Shankle.

The Florida pair came out strong and captured a first set win, but Baylor’s team shifted the match in their favor after turning the momentum in the second set.

Oyen and Woolcock never quite regained control, and fell in the tiebreak.

The match looked nothing like the previous meeting between the two teams, when Florida’s duo defeated Kisialeva and Shankle 6-3 in their match against Baylor on Feb. 1.

This season, Oyen and Woolcock accrued the second most doubles wins on the team, going 15-11 together this season.

Woolcock will have three more years of eligibility to return to the NCAA championships, but Friday was the end of Oyen’s third and final NCAA competition. The Belgium native finished her UF career as the ninth player in program history to have at least 100 win in singles and doubles action. Oyen accrued a 102-39 record in doubles play and a 106-37 mark in singles, playing most of her dual matches on the No. 2 and 3 courts.

Follow Ian Cohen on Twitter @ibcohen5