<p>Sen. Anthony Sorrentino, chairman of the rules and ethics committee, addresses the summer senators about vacant seats in his committee.&nbsp;</p>
<div>&nbsp;</div>

Sen. Anthony Sorrentino, chairman of the rules and ethics committee, addresses the summer senators about vacant seats in his committee. 

The first Student Senate meeting of the summer was short and to the point. 

Sen. Katie Backstrand was unanimously voted into the open member at-large Senate seat. She has served since Spring 2013, she said, and is currently a College of Agricultural and Life Sciences senator.    

In an email sent to the Senate listserv, Backstrand cited her time on the rules and ethics committee and the information and communications committee as preparation for her new position.

“The Member At Large seat is a very significant position, as it requires the use of judgement and experience to select the most qualified individuals to serve as Senators and Committee members,” she wrote.

Senate President Pro Tempore Joseph Michaels announced the multiple Senate and committee positions available over the summer. Vacant seats include 24 in various committees, eight for permanent replacement Senate seats and 29 during Summer A. 

Michaels asked senators to encourage “any qualified candidate” to apply. Qualifications for joining Student Senate include a minimum 2.5 GPA and 12-hour course load for undergraduates, or 3.0 and 9 hours, respectively, for graduate students. Applicants must also be free of financial obligation to the university and not be under conduct probation. Applications are due Friday at noon and may be found on the Student Government website.

The meeting wrapped up with an announcement of an intramural kickball team for the summer senators. 

“This is a serious commitment,” said Sen. Dylan Fisher. “We have a dedication to excellence in Senate.”

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 5/15/2014 under the headline "Senate seat unanimously appointed"]